The 2020/21 tax returns for individuals were issued in early May 2021. What do you have to do if you have received a tax return? Are there any tax obligations if you have not received a return yet?
What do you have to do if you have received a tax return?
- Taxpayers are required to file duly completed returns to the Inland Revenue Department (“IRD”) within 1 month from the date of issue of the returns unless extension is granted. For sole proprietors, returns can be filed within 3 months. Those filing via eTAX will have an automatic extension of one month.
Are there any tax obligations if you have not received a return yet?
- If you have not received a tax return due to change of postal address, you should promptly notify the IRD of your change of address in writing or call in person at the IRD’s Enquiry Service Centre. You should also contact the IRD to obtain a duplicate tax return for filing or file the return via eTAX.
- If you are a first time taxpayer and you consider you are liable to Salaries Tax, Profits Tax or Property Tax in 2020/21, unless you have already received a tax return, you should request a tax return from the IRD within 4 months after the end of the basis period for 2020/21.
- If you had been assessed as not liable to tax in the past, the IRD may not issue returns to you annually. However, you are still required to notify the IRD in writing when you have become liable to tax within 4 months after the end of the basis period 2020/21.
Tax relief for 2020/21
- A 100% tax relief, subject to a ceiling of $10,000 per case, would be available to taxpayers to reduce salaries tax, tax under personal assessment and profits tax for 2020/21. Taxpayers should file their 2020/21 returns as usual, and the tax relief will automatically be granted when the IRD issues the tax assessment.
If you have any enquires or would like to have a review on your tax obligations in Hong Kong, please feel free to contact us.
Chartered Accountant, LL.M.
Tel: (852) 3102 1995
Senior Tax Manager
Tel: (852) 3102 1995
Rooms 501-2, Wilson House
19-27 Wyndham Street
Central, Hong Kong